In 2006, when we first started specialising in holiday let mortgages, they were difficult to find, as only a couple of Building Societies and the odd regional commercial lending department of one of the Banks, were involved in lending. They were not really a subject talked about amongst brokers either.
The advent of AirBnB, Brexit and the recent adverse HMRC Tax changes on buy to lets have fuelled the buzz around the benefits holiday letting and short term lets including serviced accommodation. It’s currently a hot topic and naturally more lenders want to enter the market.
However, although they are now easier to find, the mortgage criteria are incredibly complex, as lenders seek to differentiate themselves from the competition. Some Broker only lenders don’t advertise exactly what is possible, fearing a flood of business.
This is where we add value by finding the best rates, best deals, that you, the property and purpose will fit.
Holiday Letting is classified by HMRC as a business and this can only be a good thing (see Tax Guide).
Loans on holiday let properties are mortgages for a business purpose, AKA commercial loans, that are often secured on a residential property. We have many years’ experience in arranging mortgages to purchase and re-finance short term lets, in most cases at non-commercial rates (subject to status).
See below for an idea of what is possible, then when you are ready, call one of our advisers for an in-depth discussion.
- purchases and re-mortgages of holiday let properties up to a maximum loan to value of 75%, including new build flats
- purchases of second homes with limited holiday letting use to 85% LTV
- limited company holiday let (trading company or SPV)
- first time buyer loans available
- max loan size (subjects to limits above) assessed on rental income or a combination of rental and personal income
- non-traditional construction available. Minimum value £150,000
- properties in Scotland
- Up to 500K at 75% LTV, low rates
- Up to 750K LTV at 60% LTV, low rates
- multiple self -contained holiday lets on a single title
- mixed use/multiple unit holiday lets, where the owner is resident
- holiday let development/conversion and bridging finance
- capital raising on a first or second charge basis available
- purchase and refinance of holiday let businesses
Please contact us to discuss your holiday let mortgage requirements or call 0800 840 3111